Monday, February 15, 2010

journal entry #7

I said I might do some more journal entries along the line, and here one is.
This is an update on my owl story, from prompt #15. The owl hung around for about a week and then was gone. I continue to wake up every morning and look out my bedroom window to see if he has returned. This morning he was out there again, I was excited to see him. Yesterday, my partner finally put out the rat traps in the chicken coop. I did not relish that idea, but knew I needed to get rid of the rat (or 2). Upon feeding the chickens and checking the traps I saw that one held a dead rat. Argh, ugh, gross! Sooooo...I gathered what guts I had, poked it four or five times to be sure it was dead, then found a garden tool to open the trap up. I was not about to put my fingers anywhere near that rat head, who knows it still could have tried to bite me--one last impulse from the dead! I lifted the spring off the rat and grabbed it by the tail, with a paper towel, and tossed it out to the garden saying "here, take that please." The owl swooped down onto my offering and carried it away. So, I am relieved that a rat is gone, and the owl is pleased to have some food. Let's hope that I don't have to add another update like this one. I so hope there was only one rat.

2 comments:

  1. One rat--kind of a hermit rat, eh? The last rat from Hamelin town, the one the Pied Piper missed, the solitary guy who isn't interested in chumming around with, not to mention celebrating Valentine's Day with, his fellow ratatatties.

    Where there is one rat, there are dozens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. please don't tell me there could be a whole bunch more. I did actually see two tails slithering away the day I realized I had rodents in the coop. I am hoping the owl got the other one on his own without my help.

    ReplyDelete