Monday, June 7, 2010

June 7, 2010

I just got back from a walk in the woods. It is nice to have the sun back, but I admit we were in dire need of rain. The river is back up to the level it should be at, and my sump pump is happily humming away. I’m not sure it liked the hiatus, even though I did, at least for it. The lady slippers are going by, there were far fewer blooming this year. In the field the milkweed is beginning to bud. I pick a few for tonight’s supper. They do have oxalic acid, but if you rinse them a few times and change the water while cooking, you should be ok. I like them, but I don’t know too many people that are willing to try them, and those that did, didn’t really like them (like my children).

I spent Saturday afternoon in the garden. I finally have the lettuce and other greens, the beans, corn and s1uash seeds planted. I took advantage of the rainy forecast and got in all the seedlings that I had bought. I then mulched and put up a fence for the stunted peas. I hope they aspire to some height now that they have something to cling to.

I have to say that I will probably be caught lying many times if I keep this blog up for long. Right now my favorite shrub is in bloom. It is sheep’s laurel; the northern stunted (Maine) version of the mountain laurel I grew up with in Connecticut. The lie will be the fact that I will often say my favorite flower is in bloom. Just wait until full summer! I guess I forget the beauty and the thrill of the flower until I see it again. I am like that with food too. I can never use my favorite food for password protection for pin numbers, because depending on what is in season my tastes change. I am a fickle person, I guess.
Ah well there are worse things to be in life.

6 comments:

  1. I think my wife's favorite flower is the daffodil--she plants 75-100 every fall, but she really goes for them all, like you.

    Me--the only flower I've ever paid any attention to or planted: lupine, though I have a warm spot for old-fashioned gardens with hollyhocks and morning glory.

    My garden is in, except I'm pulling out the first row of greens from April and reseeding. The okra looks like it won't make it so I have a few sad miscellaneous seedlings I'm going to try instead. First corn showing. First peas in 18 days, I'd guess. Potatoes look good. Brassicas strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved driving by your house when the daffodils are in bloom. Lupines are up there too in the fav's, I especially like their peppery scent. And hollyhocks, they are one plant that I did bring with me when I moved to this house three years ago. I am trying to go "native".

    My garden Would have been in sooner if I hadn't had sooo much writing to do this last semester:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My garden would have been in sooner if I'd had less grading to do last semester! Why don't my students realize I'm not really serious when I assign stuff! I'm just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, If only I hadn't graduated and was taking your next course, i could use this as fodder! Actually any chance I can get in on the prompts to keep me inspired, and writing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt 262 will have enough people to actually run (only three so far), but I've just started a website for it:

    http://aeruiyawer.blogspot.com/

    I'm going to put together some of your nature pieces as first-week samples, and as payment, if the course runs, you can take it for free.

    ReplyDelete