Monday, December 6, 2010

December 6, 2010

A gift of a snow day today. So with unfettered time, I went for another walk in the woods. Today, no dog accompanied me, so all was relatively quiet. I heard the skreak as the soles of my boots compressed the snow beneath my feet, my heart beating and the puff of my breath. Upon stopping in a stand of firs, I heard the quiet call of a chickaddee or a golden crewned kinglet. I suspected a kinglet because the call was so quiet, and I did not see the bird, another indication that it was the kinglet. The vernal pools that I routinely pass were a steely gray as the snow settled and sank into the warmer water. I wondered about the frogs, tadpoles and salamanders that have dug deep underneath the ground to survive this winter.

I am reading The Watchers at the Pond, by Franklin Russell. It is an older book, from the 60's, that I found at the Goodwill. I liked the picture on the cover. Russell follows the life in and around a northeastern pond for a year. He writes of the struggles with the cold, heat, predators and unseuccessful breeding. It is bleak, yet extraordinary. I tend to look at the beauty I see in nature, not the hardship. One winter, I found the frozen body of a Golden Crowned Kinglet. I picked it up and admired the shading and the delicacy of its feathers. I did not think of how it happened to be dead under this particular tree. Of how it settled against the trunk of the tree during a particularly cold night and its metabolism slowed and slowed until it stopped all together. Now, I may think differently as I walk my woods. I will wonder about the birds, turtle,and the beavers that I share this space with. Maybe i am lucky that i have come from a species that has developed a brain that can manipulate external forces to survive. At any rate, I sit here cozy in my home as the snow continues to fall.

3 comments:

  1. I like the mood of your writing. You see the routine, then turn it inside-out so it becomes the remarkable ("It is bleak, yet extraordinary"). And your sentences often lead to a surprise, sometimes coming at the end, other times the next one ("It is an older book, from the 60's, that I found at the Goodwill. I liked the picture on the cover"). Honest writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, anonmymous.
    you don't need to remain anonymous, unless of course you want to. I did request that while I was still taking the writing course that generated this blog.
    RC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, Anonymous, aka Applewood Woodpecker

    ReplyDelete