Thursday, March 1, 2012

Leap Day

It is Thursday, but I am taking the time to enter yesterday’s piece. I was home later than usual last night and didn’t get around to posting.
Leap day, I heard on the radio it is a day used to calibrate us with nature’s rhythm. Maybe I will use this day to return to nature.

Glints of yellow
As the goldfinch
Slowly changes its attire
From winter into spring
To spite the cold
The summer’s glittering gold.

12 degrees this morning. Gus, the dog, and I walked the half loop again this morning, in the reverse direction; west through the woods, then east along the river. Last night’s moisture lays silver, frozen on branch and twig; shimmering where the sun rises above the pine. I was not dressed for the temperature. I walked fast and did not stop. Yet, still, the morning crept inside me bringing me to that moment of awe in the quiet still cold.

1 comment: