Saturday, April 14, 2012

I went into town early this morning to run errands, so no early morning walk. On my way home I went the route that takes me by the power-lines that cross over the Passy River. I have been coming home that way at least once a week to see if the osprey has returned. And, yes, today one was in the nest, looking large and white and quite content. For a second, I thought it was an eagle, until I refocused my gaze and realized I was looking at its chest, not its head.

This afternoon is warm and since the peepers and wood-frogs have been quite noisy in the evening I decided to check for egg masses. I didn’t find as many as I had hoped. In looking in five vernal pools, I found less than 20 egg masses. And the pool that had the most last year only had one. I do know it is a bit early, so hopefully There will be more. I did have to move one branch further into the water as it was already almost touching the bank and would begin to dry out if we don’t get rain. The pools are much smaller this year, which does not bode well for the amphibians that lay their eggs in them.

By the waterfall, I took off my boots and stuck my feet in the water. It is pretty cold, but I couldn't resist on a warm day like today. I do an annual May Day dunk, I think today has been my earliest touching of the water thus far.

I found a new den being dug. There was a scat nearby which looked like it belonged to a canine. Maybe a fox was working on this hole. Or maybe, a fox just decided to leave a mark on someone else’s spot. I also found some weasel scat along the river, and tracks of a raccoon. I walked along the water’s edge, and since I had on my high rubber boots, I periodically went into the water. The dog, which I was dragging along on its leash, did not like that part all that well. I also scared up three ducks when rounding a bend in the river. All in all it was a fairly eventful walk this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment