Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Today, while I was still lying in bed, the phoebe landed on the lilac just outside the window. Even though one of my neighbors has seen it already this spring, this morning was my first visit from it. It was nice to get such a morning welcome; to not only hear it but to see it while first awakening. The sun is shining after a day and night of cold rain.

I went out last night looking for salamanders, although I must admit it was a half-hearted search. I did not put on my rubber boots, but walked along the edge of my driveway where the vernal pools come up close. Yes that sounds horrific, like someone had put the driveway in where they shouldn’t; and that is exactly what happened. The previous owner and builder of my home put the driveway through the wetlands. I am trying to keep them alive and well, but last night’s walk was one advantage I have of his indiscretion. I did not see any salamanders, but heard wood-frogs and peepers. Earlier in the evening when it was still light, I could see the water moving as the frogs dropped down to hide, so I knew there were quite a few .

I did the closer part of the loop today. Usually I can block out the sounds of human activity, but this morning the sound of heavy equipment was too noticeable from one of the gravel pits across the river. I am not sure which one, sound travels pretty far and it was annoying to say the least this morning. The dog and I heard the flock of turkeys that inhabit the woods near here. It sounded like they were in the garden next door. We also came across a clump of discarded winter hair from a deer. It looked as if I might have grabbed a chunk and deposited it in the path for an unsuspecting dog to find. The dog really did enjoy sniffing his treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment