Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 12, 2010

An exhausting three days, but sometimes I wonder what else is new. Work can be draining no matter what. There are ten to twenty children always hovering and needing. I love it, but I do get tired.

Monday amidst the chaos and din of children’s voices, singing, fighting, yelling, laughing, we watched a female cardinal build a nest two feet from the window. She methodically brought twigs to a sheltered area in a bush by the window. Every time she arrived with a new twig, she nestled into the concave center of the twigs, placed the new twig and turned a full circle adjusting and rearranging. By the end of the day it looked like she had a completed nest. Many of the children sat and watched for brief periods of time. Then we of course created a teachable moment and brought out some books that we have on birds and their nests. I did not see the cardinal on Tuesday or today. I inspected the nest while outside. She has twigs, and some leaves and a bit of plastic; all rather solidly molded together. I do not know if she decided to abandon that nest, or if she is taking a few days reprieve before she is ready to lay her eggs. The male continues to sing in the trees nearby, though.

I haven’t been around the river since the weekend. I had dinner with the neighbors and we talked about the fish they caught in the pool that adjoins our property, and I told them about the small patch of fiddleheads I found on their bank. (They bought the house last fall, and come up when they can while working another year or two before they retire).

4 comments:

  1. That cardinal nest must have been a hoot to see a-building.

    My fiddlehead days ended forever when I gathered a bunch a few days past peak and felt like I was eating powdered aspirin.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you eating the right kind of fiddlehead? I haven't eaten them past peak, but I would think they would be tough not powdery. You really don't have to keep up with this blog if you need a vacation! Take one anyway at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were real fiddleheads all right and right from the bank of the Marsh Stream even. It wasn't their consistency but somehow their taste was salicylic, like aspirin.

    I'll be gone for ten days but I will check back at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you are taking a break. Have a nice ten days where ever you are. Did you pick them from "MY" secret spot?

    ReplyDelete