Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Week 15: A nature journal

May 3, 2010

Home for the day by mid afternoon. I planted two blueberry bushes that I bought from Reny’s. I haven’t felt quite right today—a bit lightheaded so I lay down for a bit. An hour later I decided to go walking in spite of the heat, the wind and how I felt. I followed the loop by the river. I heard a group of crows raucously calling to each other. They must have been near the farmer’s field across the river. The wind brought me whiffs of manure and the throttle of a tractor. Under the oaks the wind threw some acorns at me, and I wondered about the wisdom of this walk in the woods. I decided not to dawdle too much today.

The water is already down to its summer level. No more opportunity to run the river. I have thought about it a number of years, but have yet to actually do it. During the heat of summer I will tube from the falls to my rock, the beaver’s rock, the turtle’s rock. You have to walk periodically, but it is still a fun way to get cool.

As I rounded the last bend in the river before heading east into the woods, I got a clear view of very dark and ominous clouds. I realized I better hustle even more. I did check to see if the lady slippers were beginning to show, they weren’t, and I checked a little boggy area. By the time I got to the field, drops of rain were sprinkling down. I made it to my yard just as the wind increased with a loud roar, and I heard a tree fall. Just as I ducked onto the porch the rain let go with a fury. Such incredible timing. I sat on the porch and watched the wind and rain. After the ten minute squall, the sun is now clearing and the temperature has dropped from 82 to 75.

I have to eat an early supper and head off to a Conservation Commission meeting. I spend time inside, talking with others about how to help conserve and maintain trails on some town properties. It is the least I can do for the privilege of having woods to roam.

4 comments:

  1. I was on Rt 1 in Northport on a motorcycle when the rain and wind arrived.

    :(

    I don't know how you do this, get these effects, keep the reader in the picture. Maybe you're cheating by describing stretches of water I've fished and canoed, so it's too easy for me to visualize.... But I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'm cheating. Have you ever fished the stretch of the Marsh River from the old Monroe General store to Millie"s Store in Frankfort.

    Sorry to hear that the rain hit you.But it sure was an incredibly wonderful storm in spite of its brevity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the Marsh Stream very well from way out Stovepipe Alley to the Penobscot, fishing, canoeing, skating twice when we still had winters. And, once, in 1999, some whitewater there nearly nipped my career short....

    ReplyDelete