Saturday, January 23, 2010

journal entry #4

I missed yesterday due to computer disfunction, and the disfunction of the operator. I turned on my computer yesterday morning to hear its motor rev up and then stop. I tried again, same thing. At that moment my significant other, who is a jack of all trades, (for this blog I will call him JAT) called. I told him what was going on. He said "put it somewhere really cold and I will bring my tools over tonight". I put it on the porch for the day. He spent the evening doing computer voodoo, and also backed up all my files. This morning we realized that the switch was sticking, so a little vaseline and I am all set again! When it comes to computers I am like a deer caught in the headlights, I stop moving, I stop thinking and I stop breathing. I might have been able to figure that out, but I panic and think the solution is way above me.

Yesterday was "one of those days". At work, I had to deal with fighting and arguments, and children biting and parents thinking they needed to continue the "punishment" at home. It doesn't matter how often we say, we have dealt with the issue, you don't need to again. We do appreciate support and consistency, but to be yipped at again for something that happened 5 hours ago doesn't do all that much good, especially for a three year old, who lives in the moment anyway.

At least Friday night is sauna night and my boss and i let off a lot of steam while we are steaming! Then I came home to my JAT and supper waiting, and a hero fixing my computer. It was a perfect ending for the day.

Beautiful morning this morning. I don't know where you all are, but here there was a glistening hoarfrost on the trees, vapor from the river. And on my drive into Belfast the west branch of the Marsh River wore a ribbon of hoarfrost along its edges. The bay also was shrouded. I am reminded of scenes from Dr Zhivago and other Russian literature, when I see that. I am often overwhelmed by the colors and textures of the natural world.

I did my usual Saturday morning routine, well....what I am trying as a new year's resolution. I go into work, and do the paper work that I haven't been able to do during the week when children are pulling on my sleeve, sneezing on my sleeve, or biting their peers. Or I am just having fun with them. I can't multi-task when people are around. So I got most of that done, I still have a bit to do, but I forgot those papers at the house, ugh.

I guess that is it for now, I would like to get outside to enjoy a little of the day before the sun goes down.

1 comment:

  1. "but to be yipped at again for something that happened 5 hours ago doesn't do all that much good, especially for a three year old, who lives in the moment anyway."

    So true. One of the first things you learn as a teacher (or dog trainer) is reward immediately, punish immediately. Justice delayed is justice denied, and a pizza party six months off is not going to motivate anyone to do anything. It's obvious but people still don't get it.

    ReplyDelete