Sunday, January 24, 2010

Journal entry #5

Sunday afternoon,
This morning, I swapped the snow shoes for the X-country skis and took the loop to the waterfall. I discovered a set of coyote tracks--at least I think they were because of the determination of their course (dogs tend to meander). It followed my old trail and then went lopping off toward a marshy area near the stream. I did not follow, but kept to my already beaten trail. Somewhere I lost a mitten! I may decide to go back out and look for it in a bit. When I got home the laundry was ready to hang, I fixed the broken toilet seat, and cleaned the house. Really, I just thought about cleaning the house. Then I decided to work on assignments. Got some of them done. I have to figure what kind of BS will work for my other class. (Please don't anyone tell! It feels like another creative writing course, with a different agenda--how to dazzle the instructor!)
I called my sister again. This time I wanted to ask her some questions about our childhood, for the assignment. She helped to clarify a few of my thoughts and get things in chronological order, and get name places correct. I suppose I could have used those little white lies, and may still, to get the emphasis just right.
I feel the sun dipping closer to the horizon and the house is cooling. If I want to look for mitten now is the time.
Goodbye for now.

4 comments:

  1. "It feels like another creative writing course, with a different agenda--how to dazzle the instructor!"

    How well I know that feeling--and how important it is, as I already know you know, to resist it.

    Otherwise, of course, the student spends time trying to figure out the instructor's tastes and working into that awful mini-me role--at the expense of finding out her own tastes and becoming a more powerful and skilled and self-knowledgeable version of her old self.

    Remember: unless I call for a rewrite, it doesn't really matter in 162 whether I like it or not. It becomes part of your grade, like, dislike, or indifferent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mean that I need to dazzle you, but that the other class feels like I need to write a certain way and leave many of the things I would be saying left unsaid. What I like about this class, is that I do get to write what I want, and I don't have to think about whether you will like it or not, or whether it contains all the pieces of the goals and objectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goals and objectives. Don't get me started. Those are being pushed on us by federal government and accreditors looking for accountability measurements, and it's a path we all are going to have to go down unless retirement or divine intervention saves us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that divine intervention will be a political change. We are beginning to see a shift away from academics in the pre-school years.
    Retirement won't come soon enough for me.

    ReplyDelete